Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

The Art of Recycling

As I explored the city of Seattle for the first time ever (and saw way too many duck buses), I noticed to my right a few young adults stringing plants from three trees along a median. Very nice. Oh wait, those little plants are in plastic jugs! Ah, the mere thought of upcycling plastic bottles excites me. So I quickly urged my friends to cross the street to get the inside scoop.

Three students from the Art Institute of Seattle were working on a project (this homework is too easy!) focusing on sustainability! All the plants were edible, consisting of lettuce, herb and veggie varieties. The students said the point was to exemplify how simple it is to recycle and garden all at the same time in an urban setting. And so simple it is!

The students rigged up a portable irrigation system by turning a big water container upside in a tree, where the water drips through rubber tubing along a rope.

Just a couple rows of herbs, lettuces and other edible plants.

Now I may be a bit biased but Portland has got to have more homemade, sustainable solutions throughout the neighborhoods. Please send in your sightings and we'll post about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment